Spider mites on weed plants can drastically reduce the yield.
And, therefore, you need to get rid of them ASAP to save your crops.
But you don’t know how to get rid of spider mites on weed plants?
So, what do to do when you are in this problem?
Here’s the solution:
This ultimate guide to getting rid of spider mites on weed plants will help you to solve the issue instantly.
Let’s get started:
What are Spider Mites?
Starting from the basics, spider mites are a type of arachnids, which eat the cells of plant leaves ultimately destroying the crop.
These spider mites produce millions of eggs in a month.
While the worst part is that they reach the maturity period within just five days.
And this is how the loop of destroying a plant gets started.
Moreover, spider mites can get into any growing setup. However, these are less likely to show in hydroponic systems and more in the soil.
This is because in the soil there is more content of dead organic matter which helps them to nourish and show up.
Therefore, if you do not take any action when these mites show up on your plants then they can completely ruin a plant overnight.
So, it is better to keep an eye and observe your plant’s health and if you identify any spider mites on your plant then get into action immediately.
How to Identify if Your Weed Plants Have Got Spider Mites?
Well, identifying spider mites on weed plants is indeed tough, initially.
Though still, there are some ways by which you can keep an eye on if your plant is suffering from this issue.
First of all, the ideal way to approach keeping your weed plants healthier is to do a routine checkup frequently.
This will help you identify if any symptoms should not be there.
And coming to the spider mites’ symptoms then the plant leaves will have little bite marks. The color of the main spot might be yellow or white.
There are also more symptoms that you should take care of:
- Webbing on leaves
- Yellow, white pencil-tip-like spots
- Slow growth
- Slow growth
- Drooping plant
This is the major concern for you if you see any of the above symptoms.
One thing to point out here is that generally, spider mites reside underside of leaves. Therefore, while checking up your plants don’t forget to check both sides of the leaves.
And once you catch the symptoms of spider mites on your plants, then it is time to get rid of them.
How To Get Rid of Spider Mites on Weed Plants?
There are multiple ways by which you can get rid of spider mites on weeds. And, I will mention almost each of them.
So that you can decide on your own and make things work out:
1. Vacuum Cleaner
This is the classical way to get rid of spider mites.
And, this works very fast.
Use a simple handheld vacuum cleaner to suck out all the bugs in your plant. This will instantly help you to get rid of the spider mites.
Though it might be time-consuming.
However, this method works most of the time.
Also, make sure that while using the tool, make sure you don’t hurt your plant at all.
And once you have caught the mites, make sure to deal with them carefully. Just put them into a sealable plastic bag.
Try to put them into a freezer if possible because the low temperature will completely kill the mites.
And after that, you can put them into the trash container.
2. The Spray of Hard Water
After vacuum cleaner, spraying the hard water on plants can do your job.
Because as you spray the hard water, the water pressure puts down the web of mites and bugs itself ultimately leading to the prevention of spider mites.
Also, the water pressure can make them get out of your plants and this ultimately throws them away from their main food, which means they will eventually die if survived from hard water spray.
Further, there are many products available in the market which can do the job for you. You can find one for yourself.
When it comes to the spider mites then ladybugs are the savior!
As ladybugs eat spider mites, therefore, they can completely clean your crop from them.
Well, either you have to get ladybugs, especially for your garden or you have to wait for their natural habitation. Because ladybugs naturally come to the plants with spider mites.
Though the drawback of this method is that you cannot rely on this method at all.
Still, it is one of the ways to get rid of spider mites on weed plants.
4. By Keeping Your Grow Area Clean
Dead leaves, extra soil, dropped fertilizers, or anything else that is making your garden messy can eventually invite the spider mites.
And therefore, this is one of the best ways that you should keep your grow area clean.
Just pick the old leaves, and other unnecessarily required things and put them out of your garden. This will reduce the chances of the growth of spider mites.
Moreover, keep in mind that spider mites love the higher temperature and therefore, you should keep proper ventilation in your garden.
Also, you can use some commercial products for preventing bugs but the basic ways can make your job easier as well.
Within the range of required temperature, keeping it low can also reduce the chances of having spider mites in your garden.
5. Some Other Ways
Some people also love to use the bleach solution for the spider mites though you must know how to make it.
As the excessive quantity of anything can also damage your plants along with mites.
A better approach will be to use the available commercial solution. However, do some research before putting anything random in your garden.
Bonus Tips to Avoid Spider Mites
- Never introduce an alien plant to your garden until keeping that in quarantine for several days. This will reduce the chances of having spider mites in your crop.
- If you have opted for a method and it worked then use it one more time to ensure the mites have been wiped completely.
- Maintaining an ideal grow environment for your plant can not only make them grow faster but also will help them to prevent bugs and other issues.
- Specifically for the spider mites, you can keep the temperature as low as possible (maintaining the required grow temperature as well).
- For monitoring your plants regularly use a handheld microscope. This will help you know the health of your plant closely.
- If you want to avoid spider mites completely then you should grow your weed in a closet and avoid outdoor marijuana growing.
What NOT to Do to Get Rid of Spider Mites?
- Never use the unhealthier chemical sprays on your weed plants. This will surely kill the mites but it can drastically affect the health of your plant leading to a decrease in yield.
- Don’t kill beneficial insects like ladybugs. They help you avoid spider mites.
- Don’t keep the infected plant in the garden. Try to keep that in a separate area if possible, to reduce the chances of other plants getting infected.
- Don’t get relaxed by just applying one method for a while. As spider mites can return in a while if not given attention. Therefore, make sure you keep a regular eye on your crop.
Spider mites on weed plants are quite common and there are multiple solutions that you can easily pick of them to get rid of this issue.
Till now, you must be aware of all the reasons that make them occur and the solutions as well. Hopefully, now, you will be able to solve this issue in a better way.